Ambler Primary School originally opened on 25 October 1898 as Ambler Road Board School for boys, girls and infants.
It was designed to accommodate 930 children, with room for 300 boys, 300 girls and 333 infants. It was officially opened by MP Edward Stanley, who was a member of the London School Board.
The school opened a centre for 60 physically and learning disabled children in 1900.
In 1927, there was a fire at the school and it took just 2 minutes for the children to evacuate the building and fortunately, the school keeper put the fire out before the fire brigade arrived.
The school was reorganised from 1932-36 to form Finsbury Park School for junior boys and junior girls, holding 348 and 351 children respectively. In 1949, the school was reorganised for mixed juniors and renamed Ambler Primary. In 1971, Ambler Primary and Finsbury Park Primary were amalgamated to form Ambler Primary for mixed juniors and infants. A nursery block was added around this time. In 1982 there 250 mixed juniors and infants.
January 2006 saw Ambler Primary School expand using the dental block behind the Primary School and a refurbishment project was undertaken to form a new Children’s Centre linked to the School, to provide full wraparound care and education for children aged 6 months to 11 years. An extra nursery class was added to the Children’s Centre in 2010.
In September 2013 and due to popular demand, Ambler Primary School and Children’s Centre embarked on a programme to grow the school to a two-form entry offering, adding an extra class each year. In January 2015, the school also built ‘Vince’s Lodge’ on the site which provides extended services such as a breakfast club and after school care.
Let's make something beautiful together...